RECENT!

Friday, June 21, 2013

Theorycrafting: Imagine a Mode...

Hello! My name is Robert “Kros” Cherry, and I’m the Technical Producer for Heroes of Newerth. I’ve been playing HoN for a long time now, and one of the things I do with any game that I play for any serious length of time is theorycraft. I’d like to share some of that theorycrafting with you guys today.

Imagine a mode that starts off with each player picking three heroes. You decide to pick your favorite heroes: Solstice first, then Predator, and of course Monarch.

You enter the game, and it’s not quite the HoN you’d expect; your abilities have been randomly generated from the 30 heroes chosen by all of the players!

So, with your crazy abilities in tow, you head off to your lane. There you are, carefully last-hitting, when suddenly Martyr throws an Amun-Ra stun at you. Good thing your Bubbles lane partner has Accursed’s Shield! Unfortunately, Legionnaire pops out of the jungle as Minotaur (that he’s stricken with Parasite’s Infest) and catches you before you can get back. Luckily, you respawn very quickly, and haven’t lost any gold. You also notice you have a whole new set of abilities!

This mode is chaotic, this mode is action packed, and it’s incredibly fun. I know this because we’ve been play testing it internally for a while now.

I’d love to hear what you guys might think about a mode like this, so please leave some comments on the forums here:

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?501871-Blog-Post-Discussion-Imagine-a-mode

19 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! I do not like the other fun modes of HoN as mid wars and 3v3 games, but this actually sounds like a really great idea for a "not so serious" mode. I'd love to test it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing! I don't have much time to play HoN, and when I do find a spare moment, I'm stuck playing Mid Wars...as fun as it is... TBH, I'm getting tired of it. Something crazy like this would be super awesome. I think Wc3 Dota had a mode similar to this, wherein if you died as one hero, you would respawn as another. But this is different still. I like it. Just make it fast paced like Mid Wars and I htink we have ourselves a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a variety of game modes like this. It would really spice up the game. Make it the same as Mid Wars in regards to no stat tracking, but you still gain silver for playing. As well as the RAP system still in place to prevent unnecessary griefing.

    I've seen this idea on youtube in the form of a small arena, rather than the caldavar map, which looked great for a quick multi-round game of non-stop action. But I think the structure of a well known map and a common objective will give that game mode an awesome feel.

    +1

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.. custom modes + maps?? genius. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  5. we already did it kros...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFVc26M1RE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not just make custom maps possible with out hack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you need a hack for custom maps as it is?

      Delete
  7. I don't usually post anywhere, but to show my support I'm posting here, this sounds like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While this sounds fun and awesome, I'm wondering as well why you guys don't enable custom maps. Custom maps is why we have MOBAs in the first place! Image what one could do with the best engine of all MOBA games!

    +1 for custom maps

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya that would be incredible! Midwars gets tired after a while. I think the arena type would be cool with a team kill limit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please implement this now. please...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like an awesome mode.

    But what if my items suddenly becomes useless because they were catered towards a certain set of abilities?

    ReplyDelete
  12. finally custom map for FoC. . . implement please

    ReplyDelete
  13. even great if its a mode for Mid Wars

    ReplyDelete
  14. s2 Please remove core pool and create "CLASSIC MODE" with all heroes from the beginning of HON (i believe tundra was the last port, or dr) but u decide the heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that sounds amazing. I Love to play hon since beta and i play it as often i can. This would be another reason to stay at hon for a long time.

    ReplyDelete